New Job Description Wanted

I need help.

I came so close to clicking on the button - you know, those internet "opportunities" that just look so good! A remarkable job opportunity that will make me rich!!!!

I know better.

I've been praying and researching and asking questions for three months now...all to find the door-knob that will open the "new life" door for me.

I've asked myself about my motives. Am I worried that I have to prove my worth? There aren't children in my home (very often, anyway), and I spent the young adult years of my life being a stay-at-home mom. I have no regrets about it, believe me, but now that the children are grown I'm grasping for something just as meaningful to give my life to.

Am I in too much of a hurry? We’re doing okay financially. We have a home, clothes and food. I’ve come far enough along these last few weeks to say that I do want more. I’ve even asked the Lord to make me rich. Now, THAT’S a departure from the path I chose as a youth!

Maybe I’m supposed to just take a rest from my labors. I mean, like the word, “retire”?

Whoa, I can’t see me doing that for very long! I’ve tried.... I’m just not done yet. My husband works a very physically demanding job, and puts in a lot of hours doing it. I can just see him coming home from work every day to see me being “retired”!

And, retirement is near the last on my list of fun things to do! I really do want meaningful work. My problem is...

My job skills are few. At least, I don't believe in my skills that much. That's probably the whole problem right there!

For almost 30 years I've been the Family Life/Home Manager. Much of that time has been spent giving birth to, growing, refereeing, coaching, teaching, training, teasing and studying children. But I'm spent, now. I just don't have it in me any more to work with kids 24/7! That's the main reason I'm not a foster mom any more. So, how can I "become profitable" with skills like that?

I love writing, so I've started blogging (not to be confused with “clogging”, that stompin‘ dance!).

I love editing photos, so I took a class in PhotoShop.

I love my independence, so I took a class in starting a home-based business. I still have a husband, and grown children and grandchildren to serve, and I need to remain available for them.

I’ve been a care giver, dish-washer, transportation provider, housekeeper, poet, artist, calligrapher, potter, building maintenance worker, home school teacher, worship leader, frugal home economist, child advocate, graphics designer, letter writer, world traveler, short-term missionary, and have kept a small flock of chickens.

But my experience and expertise is children. And my heart is in children. How can I sell this to bring in an income? And, should I?

Do I have something to offer the world in the realm of writing? All of my adult life I’ve kept a journal...

Every day I look at the scripture on my calendar, quoting Jesus Christ Himself. I have to look at it because it’s in the bathroom, right in front of my face!

He said: “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 18:3-4

I have to take this seriously. Jesus said the words, “unless” and “never”. That’s serious! So, there’s something here that I must dive into. Should I launch a new study in children, and learn how to be like one again, and then write about it?

Changing, becoming like a child, a little child, is important enough that we won’t be allowed to enter the kingdom of heaven unless we do it. So, that’s a very worthy endeavor - teaching child-like-ness!

I don’t want to presume that I must write a book, and that I’m an expert on something about kids that I should teach others, but I think that I might be going there.

That’s what I need help with.

Is this where are we going, Lord?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Start Your Summer Garden

How Many of Me Are There?

Thou Shalt Play