Like No Other Son

“My A . . .” is what you called yourself as a baby. You’ve always known who you were. Big brother "J" would go left, you would go right. "J" would go right; you would go left, because you knew you were "A . . ."!

In the middle of adventures you were the shepherd-brother-hero. You kept an eye on little sister and held her when she cried, you showed little brother how to stick Lego’s together, and you gave "J" some great game ideas – all at the same time.

I’m fishing around in my head tonight to find words, and because I’ve been scrutinizing words most of the day – new ones aren’t coming to me easily. (I’m in the middle of a proofing project.)

What I would really like is to look into your eyes, again; and try to decide what color they are, again. I’d like to wrap my arm around your neck, and tell you “happy birthday”. I would love to watch you play with your son and adore your wife. Instead I am sitting here late at night trying to pull up some words.

When I get myself in a stew, or become anxious and confused about my life, I often hear God asking me, “What do you want?” Usually it’s when I’m swimming around in a meaningless prayer, but trying (again) to find the right words. When I decide to listen, I can hear Him: “Kathy, what do you want?”

A silent pause.

I’m thinking.

“Lord, I want you.” It just all boils down to “Lord, I want you.”

My list is long, otherwise. (It would be great to see your family, for one; and money in the bank would be nice.) There are a lot of “wants”, but this is the sum of them all. In Him there is perfect rest, and in “I want you” there is perfect worship!

I love you, my wonderful son. As long as I am able to speak, you’ll hear me say that. God didn’t make a man more outstanding than you. There’s no such thing! I keep trying to express it, but words are never really enough . . .

Have an awesome week celebrating the years that He has given you.
from Mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Start Your Summer Garden

How Many of Me Are There?

Thou Shalt Play