Old Folks on Bikes

To celebrate my birthday this week (I'm over 50), I stayed with my parents for a couple of days (they're over 70). Husband was away on a long hunting trip, kids are grown and busy, grandkids napping, classes starting next week - so I enjoyed my freedom!

We haven't gotten old yet.

I can tell this is true, because we had one of those NEW moments. I went bike-riding with my Dad!

I'm sure I've followed him on a bike before. I recall we each had, including Mom, a bicycle leaning against the wall in the shed when we were children. We had to have used them, I just don't remember.

My folks live in a retirement neighborhood. (I'm almost old enough to have a place there right alongside them!) My father, always the gentleman, led me around the neighborhood at an easy pace. We talked little, teased some, greeted a few neighbors, and relished the quiet.

I have a camera in my mind, and I periodically capture moments that I don't want to ever forget. The image I see is my Dad speeding away on his bike after excusing himself - he needed to work up his heart rate, he said.

I see his thinning hair blowing in the wind, his nose wrinkled up in concentration, and his plaid shirt pasted against his chest.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Comments

KaraBeagle said…
I'm thinking you are very fortunate to have both of your parents still alive.

My father died when I was nine. My mom is 75, but she hasn't ridden a bike since the day before her sister's funeral, over a decade ago, when she fell off and broke her arm...and just attended the funeral, many hours away, wearing a sling...and saw the doctor the following week!!

K cannot ride a bike, I presume because os his vision (or lack thereof) and the last time I rode a bike, it gave my knee issues....so we don't ride...except the boring, boring exercise bike.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Start Your Summer Garden

How Many of Me Are There?

Thou Shalt Play