Almost Free

It's amazing what you can find for almost free these days.

I found a step for our tent-trailer at Goodwill – $1.99. With my tentative knees, this was a welcome addition to our camping equipment. No more “falling out” of the doorway!
And a pretty red cotton sweater – $6.99.
A rooster for my hens – free.
A couch on Craigslist – free.
Tomato plants are blooming on my back deck. I found them late in the season – half price.

Chicken feed can be expensive, but since my birds roam about and eat more than half of what they need in my yard (including weeds!) – almost free (well, kinda).
More eggs are coming than I need - can't determine cost yet, but almost free! At least the entertainment value of keeping chickens is – free! They continually amuse me. Far healthier for my mind than watching TV.

Red Bartlett pears are growing on my tree – free.
Dragging hoses to water the yard and pear tree gives me a workout – free.
Our well pumps clean water – almost free!
A 2- and 3-lb set of hand weights (one from Goodwill) to help my tendinitis improve – $7.99. Way better than prescription rehab!
Any book I would like to read can be ordered from our library – free.
We’ve received an education about raising chickens, investments, computers, copyediting, writing, Oregon history, literature, and zillions of other things from our library – free. (I put in a purchase request for Dorcas Smucker’s books so now anyone in our area can enjoy her stories!)

Staying in touch with 238 friends and family every day on Facebook – almost free.
Another workout: walking 2 miles to sing, pray, and get the mail – free.

Our home is simple, but our lives are rich. Many nights I can stand outside and enjoy more stars than I will ever count – free.
And the grins of recognition on my grandchildren’s faces? That's priceless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Start Your Summer Garden

How Many of Me Are There?

Thou Shalt Play