Austic Girl Finds Her Voice

I have a niece who has a young son with autism. For a short time he was in my care, and though I am an experienced foster parent I had no tools for dealing with the little guy's special needs. I could look into his bright eyes and see the shining lovely child that he was slowly change as dark clouds seemed to pass through his head. His face showed his torment in just a matter of seconds. In his rage toys and other objects would be flung across the room. It was heartbreaking to not be able to understand his distress, much less know how to help him.

That's how the teenager in this video affected me. Her mental capacity was questioned until she turned 11 years old, when she started "speaking" through a computer! I used to tell my foster children that they needed to write down their experiences so that people would understand how it feels to be in foster care. Listen to what this girl has to say about living in her autism.

Click on the title of this post to see it. If the link I posted does not work, go to Kim Komando's Web site at www.tvkim.com and search for the title Mute Autistic Girl Finds Her Voice.
http://www.tvkim.com/watch/357/kims-picks-mute-autistic-girl-finds-a-voice

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Start Your Summer Garden

How Many of Me Are There?

Thou Shalt Play