When You Are 55


When you are 55 and have been working at a computer for 3 years you should reconsider climbing Spencer’s Butte, especially if you’re in a hurry.

We knew it would be “stretching it” to get it done and meet the rest of the family near the gazebo boat landing at 6. I knew I would be the weak link, but I didn’t know it would confront me full in the face as it did. After all, I work out hard 30 minutes 3 times a week at Emerald Pool! But I’m 55 and I sit a lot for my work. Rats.

Halfway up I wondered who put this old body on me, anyway. Spencer’s Butte is just a butte. It’s not Mt. Kilimanjaro! Pant, pant, pant with my heart going thump, thump, thump. Sweat pouring off my hair under my hat. My husband and son and daughter-in-law kept smiling sweetly at me. And coolly. I stopped to rest again.

On the descent the wobbly legs on this body wouldn’t behave and today, a full 3 days later, my calves are still complaining. But I’m not. It was a great day and a blessed week and we separated all too soon.

They flew off to the other coast this morning, leaving my house too quiet and empty. I tore open a special chocolate she brought me “in remembrance of her” and wondered what had just happened. Was it all just a dream? Wading in the river at Harrisburg, jumping into the surf at Yachats, 2 sons throwing 2 boys around the living room, great-grandparents smiling broadly with their admiration of the 3-year-old’s Spiderman pose, sisters-in-law meeting for the first time and exchanging photos and quips. Did that all really happen or was it just a sweet dream?

I saw more than one eye with a tear, and that was so precious to me. An amazing thing love is.

“Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share but our toil he does richly repay. Not a grief or loss, not a frown or a cross but is blessed if we trust and obey. Trust and obey, for there is no other way to be happy in Jesus than to trust and obey.”

“Then in fellowship sweet we shall sit at his feet, or we'll walk by his side in the way. What he says we will do. Where he sends we will go. Never fear, only trust and obey. Trust and obey, for there is no other way to be happy in Jesus than to trust and obey!”

© 1887 John H. Sammis

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Start Your Summer Garden

How Many of Me Are There?

Thou Shalt Play