How to Be a Foster Parent

I started a list last month. This is how far I got.

How to be a foster parent

1. Carefully outline your hopes and expectations.
2. Be ready to take all your hopes and expectations and throw them out the window.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

She came to us the first time 8 years ago. She left twice. Long ago we offered to adopt her, to do anything to give her the stable family life she needed. Now she's back. And again our goal is to love and prepare her for the next time she leaves. How crazy is that? And what kind of goal is that, anyway?

Well, it's exactly the best thing to do, that's all. Sometimes you just know what your job description is, and this is one of those times for me. It's not my job to fulfill my hopes and dreams for her, or even to help her fulfill hers. It IS my job, however, to love her, pray for her, teach her, hold her, release her, walk with her, and then let her walk away.

Like I said in my marriage vows 33 years ago, "I can do this with God's help."

pqopqopqopqopqopqopq

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Start Your Summer Garden

How Many of Me Are There?

Thou Shalt Play