Mommy Says, "Share"

Didn't we all hear from our mothers, teachers, aunts, whoever - that we should "share"?

Tonight I'm resting snugly in a warm home offered to us by some old friends. (Is it okay that I call you old, friends?) My husband and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary surrounded by beauty beyond compare and more than 2 feet of snow! They offered their vacation home to us just out of the blue... How refreshing it is to be cared for like this!

Who taught you to share? How did you learn to love? -and how do you express it?

"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:8-11

I haven't told my friends this yet, but I've really struggled with sharing my home lately because I was sure I had so little to give. How many times have I seen someone not appreciate what I offered? How often have I stepped back from inviting someone over because I was embarrassed by the rust stains in the bathtub, or because I had convinced myself that my humble meal wouldn't appeal to them? The answer is: far too often!

This scripture says that I should use the gift I have received to serve others. That means I don't have to worry about what I don't have to give! What God has given me, that is what I am to use. And look closely - I'm even instructed to administer my serving in God's strength! I'm not supposed to "sweat it". I'm not sure I know how to do that, because I quickly become concerned about what the recipient is thinking.

The word "faithful" is in there too. In another scripture it says to "practice" hospitality. So, maybe I need to accept the idea that I need to be faithful to practice it, then it'll become more natural and more fun for me to SHARE!

I know that's true.

And once again, it all boils down to love.

- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - =

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Start Your Summer Garden

How Many of Me Are There?

Thou Shalt Play