Green, yellow, red, brown, blue, purple

The August grass is crunchy beneath my sneakers, and every step stirs up a little "poof" of dust and attaches itself to the hem of my jeans. Trudging across the yard to the garbage cart through the sunshiny yellow dandelions whipping my ankles, I decide that the differences in the seasons is actually refreshing.

I am spoiled by the naturalness of the color GREEN in our part of Oregon. Green just happens.

I love seeing the weed flowers by the side of the road that I call "July Flowers". They seem to glow blue! And though I see patches of golden brown grass seed farms and blackberries starting to blush red and purple, green still rules! The hillsides are covered with deep green timber and Christmas trees.

I relished the smell of ripened grain baking in the sun as I drove home last night. Then the wind carried in the fragrance of fresh mint from the field.

If the seasons didn't bring changes, I might never notice some of these things. If there were only evergreen trees, I would never enjoy the fragrances from the fields and the wide spectrum of the colors of fruitfulness.

If everything were the same, how dull life would be!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments

KaraBeagle said…
The smell of mint, sometimes overpowering if you happen to get a whiff of the distilleries, is one of my favorite things about August in the valley. It almost makes the heat seem worthwhile!!

You mentioned the glowing blue along the side of the road...I just mowed all the chicory along the street in front of my front pasture and along my driveway--until then it glowed blue.

When I was an elementary student, I used to spend my summers in Hazel Dell, which at that time consisted of a general store and post office on the corner, but otherwise was just farms and country houses on small acreages (think Apine, Oregon). --That description of Hazel Dell should date me, for anyone who has been there recently!!

Anyway, while the younger kids were having naps, I would often be sent to the post office for the mail, which consisted of walking down the steep gravel driveway and then down the gravel road, which was maybe a quarter of a mile long. I remember walking back one day, barefoot, choosing that strip of greenery down the center of the lane, seeing all the wildflowers (Queen Anne's lace, chicory, dandelions, buttercups) that were growing along the side of the road, apple orchard on one side, pasture on the other, and thinking, "When I grow up, I want to live down a gravel road just like this."

A few years ago, as I was walking back up my driveway, from getting the mail, choosing the softer strip down the middle to walk on, I noticed the Chicory and Queen Anne's lace, chest high, lining both sides of my driveway, and I realized that God had granted that wish, made decades earlier by a 9-year-old enjoying the freedom and rest and beauty of a summer day. I had almost forgotten that wish, but God never did.

So you can imagine with what sadness it is that I mow the chicory...(sigh).

Popular posts from this blog

How to Start Your Summer Garden

How Many of Me Are There?

Thou Shalt Play