Has the Mennonite Faith Changed, Or Have I?

The Mennonites I encountered growing up always aroused my curiosity. My observations made me sure they must be a humorless, fearful people. Being a bit shy myself (which probably means I thought too much of myself), I didn’t try to initiate conversations with them. In the Bi-Mart on River Road they would catch me watching them. I would smile, they would smile back. Their facial expressions seemed so serious, even fearful, and I presumed anxious to get back to their safe little communities. At least, that’s how I perceived them.

I liked it that the girls were always in dresses, but I thought it odd that they wore sneakers with skirts. I suppose I would have ignored that if they had acted like they were more comfortable standing next to us in the check-out line. I knew their clothing was related to their faith, and I admired them for that. But I wondered, if they know God, why do they seem so depressed?

Now I’m wondering, did something change?

A year or so ago a home school mom directed me to Dorcas Smucker’s blog. As I read her stories, I realized this was a woman much like me, in fact, very much like me!

Had I been judging an entire community by a small handful of people who may be just having a bad day, or something? I have certainly been guilty of stuff like that. When Jesus said that we judge people by their outward appearance, he was probably just stating a fact. We do! He wasn’t necessarily trying to correct us. It’s just a fact.

Last winter I spent 4 straight days crossing the border with my husband to take care of his dental needs in Mexico. Getting back to the US side took about 4 hours, so the second day I decided to leave him in the chair and get a head start on the long wait. As I approached the end of the line I prayed an odd prayer. I asked God to let me meet some Mennonites. I have contemplated many times that I would like to sit and chat with Dorcas, but she is rather out of my reach and I don’t want to bother her; so maybe I thought I’d meet some Mennonites in Mexico? Right!

I stepped up onto the curb and adjusted my hat. Too much sunlight on my skin gives me hives, so it took me awhile to be ready to look around. When I finally lifted my head, standing beside me were two women with head coverings and a man with a short beard. Whoa! Now what do I say?

Since blog entries are supposed to be brief, I’ll just say that before we were separated a couple hours later we had exchanged stories and names, I had turned down their invitation to a school dinner, and I felt I had made some very wonderful friends.

Basically there is, as my husband likes to say, “more research required.” Yes, I'm asking for some more Mennonite friends, Lord!
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Kathy,
Hello! My husband and I are Mennonite "converts." We were not born in Mennonite/Amish/German Baptist/Hutterite homes, but came to Anabaptist faith and practice only 2 years ago.
We're not "spring chickens" either. We've been married 30 years, and Christians for more than that. We're both in our 50's.
We are grateful to the Lord bringing us to His Anabaptist people. This new life is a joyous, wonderful thing -- but sometimes it can be like moving to a new country; where you have to learn a new culture and a new language.
We're thankful to say that our "interpreters" are loving, deep, godly -- and fun! -- people. Probably "blow your sox off" if you knew how down-to-earth and zany Mennonites can get!
I'd be happy to get to know you by e-mail, and do my best to try to answer your questions.
With Christian love,
Tami
Anonymous said…
Greetings,

I read your latest post, but will leave that for Tami to respond to.

I too am a "convert" to the Anabaptist faith, but not Mennonite. We are part of the conservative branch of the Brethren in Christ. A mix of Pietist and Mennonite theology. Because of this, we do not have the rules of the Amish and Mennonites. We are allowed freedom in how we live out our convictions.

I pray the Lord will guide you on your search into the Anabaptist faith.

Blessings,
Kim
PS If blog entries are supposed to be short, I think I failed some time ago. Not always, but there are times I get quite verbose.
Hi Kim,
Who made the rule about blog entries being short, anyway? I enjoyed reading your comments. Thank you for responding. I have much to learn and I'm enjoying the process. Blessings to you.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Start Your Summer Garden

How Many of Me Are There?

Thou Shalt Play